Friday, February 19, 2010

Finally Here

We made it... We are finally in Ladakh. The trip was long and tough, with an extra unexpected week in Delhi, but we are here. This place is absolutely beautiful. Even more than I could have expected. Just walking out of a building and being hit with the sight of those beautiful mountains takes my breath away every time. The past few nights have had the extra perk of the night sky. The clear sky permits limitless stargazing, and I have seen 8 shooting stars in the last 2 nights. The people at SECMOL could not be better. They are welcoming, friendly, and infinitely curious about us and the lives that we lead. They are always willing to play a card game, or a game of chess, or just go for a walk and talk about whatever. I will admit that the food is already a old, but it is good and definitely a healthy alternative to the normal diet at home. The rooms are cozy, and though they are cold, they are directly connected to the greenhouses that warm them up on a sunny day. I was actually amazed when we were playing cards in the greenhouse and I ended up sweating in a tshirt, whereas outside I have to bundle up wherever I go. I am grateful that the walk to the bus station is a couple miles, so that I have the chance to get away from the internet and things. From here, I feel like things can only get better. Tomorrow Mikey and I are planning on taking out the unicycle, and next week we will begin treks. I am finally in a place where I feel comfortable.

~~Pheylan Blue Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment